Hummus and Feta cheese sandwiches on whole grain bread
Recipe from epicurious.com
- 1 14-to 15-ounce can organic garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 3 tablespoons (or more) fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)*
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced seeded jalapeño chile
- 4 5×3-inch slices whole grain bread
- 1 Persian cucumber or one 4-inch piece English hothouse cucumber, thinly sliced
- 8 fresh mint leaves
- 4 fresh cilantro sprigs
- 4 ounces feta cheese, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
Using on/off turns, finely chop garbanzo beans and garlic in processor. Add 3 tablespoons lemon juice and remaining ingredients; process to coarse puree. Season to taste with salt and pepper and more lemon juice, if desired. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 week ahead. Transfer to airtight container and chill.
Spread 2 tablespoons hummus over each bread slice. Top 2 bread slices with sliced cucumber, mint, and cilantro, dividing equally. Arrange slices of feta atop cilantro. Top each with second bread slice and press gently to compact slightly. Cut sandwiches in half.
* Available at some supermarkets and at natural foods stores and Middle Eastern markets.